This article gives detailed information on Obama grants for dads. Learn how applying for these grants can save you a lot of expenses and also help you support your family financially.
First of all, there is no such thing as an Obama Grant. Since he became President, Barack Obama has signed various bills and acts to provide economic stimulus to the crippling economy and the grants that these acts funded are referred to as Obama grants. Prominent among these is the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which has allocated $89.4 billion for education.
Obama had vowed to change the face of the dipping American economy, when he was elected as the President in 2008. The man did not forget what he promised and the Obama administration had already started working on his plan of action. With the help of his worthy staff, he has pumped in billions of dollars in the American economy and hopes to resurrect it soon. This money is only for the common man of America. However, the government is not just sitting there to give out these grants to people just like that and make their lives better. This money is for the people who need it and who can prove that they need it.
Let’s talk about single parenting, it is a well-known fact that there are many grants for single mothers out there which are designed to get her and the family back on track. But what about single fathers? Don’t they need help and support so that they can dream to make a better life for them and their kids. A family can face financial crisis for various reasons; it can be unnecessary expenses, low educational level of the prime earner, drunken parents, etc. However, if you think that your current situation can improve by pursuing further education, then these grants can really be helpful.
Government Grants for Dads
The government has introduced various grants for single fathers which help them get back on their feet and live a respectable life. But the big question is where to find such grants? As you would have probably guessed the Internet is the best source for getting accurate results on such grants. While searching for federal grants for fathers, just be sure of what type of financial aid you are looking for. Do you need the money for food, clothing, education or shelter? Grants such as Federal Pell Grant and the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) are specifically designed for people who want to pursue their education and earn a degree for better employment opportunities.
Federal Pell Grant
- This grant is especially designed for people who need financial assistance for their further education. This grant is not a loan and does not have to repaid.
- The Pell Grant is usually awarded to individuals who haven’t earned a Bachelor’s or a Professional Degree. However, the applicant should have completed high school or should have a GED (General Education Development) certificate.
- The maximum amount for the year 2011-2012 (July 1st 2011 to June 30th 2012) is $5550. However, the maximum Pell Grant Award is given to an eligible student whose parent or guardian died during military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11 2001.
- The application is also considered on the candidate’s current financial need and whether the student wants to attend school part-time or full-time.
- To be eligible for the FAFSA aid, it is important that the applicant should be a US citizen or an eligible non citizen with a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
- The applicant should have a high school diploma or a GED to be eligible for this aid.
- The organization also provides Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants which range from $100 to $4000. These grants are only provided to undergraduates wanting to pursue further education.
- Those who don’t qualify for the Pell Grant can opt for Federal Stafford Loans (which have to be repaid) available for both graduates and undergraduates.
- The amount that the applicant would receive is determined on the EFC (Expected Family Contribution), the school which he is attending, which year he is enrolling and enrollment status.
Such grants provide single fathers a chance of getting a degree on federal funding. With this money, fathers can get back to a community college or college and start with a new beginning. Our President is a father himself, and he has decided to help out fathers who want to complete their education and lead better lives. Fathers are normally the head of the family and it is quite natural that they sacrifice their dream of high education to take up family responsibilities. While there can be many factors that contribute to this step, shortage of finance is the prime reason of most fathers opting out of their education. However, with the introduction of such grants, fathers can forget about their worries and go back to college.
The scholarships granted by the President for fathers is enough to take care of tuition fees, books and various additional expenditures that occur. Applicants can also enjoy tax benefits if they get selected for these grants. Now, the best thing to do is get the necessary documents that would be necessary for qualifying for the grant. The judging panel checks your age, how much you make and what kind of money you need and then qualifies you for the grant.
The result won’t be announced at once. Committee officers get thousands of applications and they have to give importance to each one. Don’t expect an answer before six weeks. If you have a doubt about the Obama grant process, please get in touch with the concerned department and get your doubts cleared. For latest information on all the grants issued by the government, visit their official website.