If you’ve found a place to stay and are sharing it with other people, make sure you sign a house sharing agreement before you move in. Read this article for more information on it.
Signing a house sharing agreement is important because of the following reasons.
- It gives you the legal status of being a tenant of the house.
- It explicitly states the amount of rent, date of paying the rent, and the deposit amount. This way, any future disputes can be avoided.
- By signing this agreement, you become liable to the landlord for taking care of his property.
- You get some rights as a tenant and the landlord must perform his responsibilities as well.
- The agreement is a legally binding contract. It can be used as a proof of residence.
- It explains the landlord’s terms and conditions of the lease agreement.
Contents of a Standard Written House Sharing Agreement
Here is a list of the general contents of a house sharing agreement. The agreement may vary from landlord to landlord. This is just a generic list.
- Name of landlord
- Name of tenants
- Amount of deposit
- Amount of monthly rent
- Date of payment of rent
- Interest rate for delay in rent payment
- Duration of the agreement
- Insurance provision (if any)
- Terms and conditions regarding further sub letting
- Payment of utilities like water, electricity, telephone, Internet access, etc.
- Policy about any amendment to the already existing furniture and other interior decorating
- A list of the owner’s property at the house
- Conditions regarding the behavior of the tenants with each other
- Conditions regarding the tenants’ behavior with the landlord
- Conditions under which the lease can be terminated by the landlord
- Notice period for voluntary termination of agreement
- Policy regarding the household rules and duties of tenants
There are certain ground rules that are set amongst the co-tenants of the house regarding the following. They may be discussed orally OR can also be included in the written agreement.
- Division of rent
- Division of utilities bills
- Division of taxes to be paid (if any)
- Rules about pets
- Girlfriends/boyfriends staying over
- Rules about smoking and drinking
- Use and maintenance of the household appliances provided by the landlord, like kitchen appliances or the television, computers, etc.
- A promise to use the utilities in moderation and to avoid wastage of water and electricity
- Rules about who, apart from the tenants, can be given a set of keys to the house
- Who’s in charge of collecting the rent and handing the check over to the landlord
- Who will take care of the cleaning of the house
- Who will look after the cooking and shopping for groceries (if applicable)
|HOUSE SHARING AGREEMENT
I, (name of tenant) hereby promise to pay (name of landlord), the sum of $(amount) as monthly rent and $(amount) as my share of deposit, for the accommodation at (address of house) for 6 months from (date of signing agreement).
Given below are the terms and conditions that I agree to, as a co-tenant at said address.
I also agree that this agreement can be terminated by the landlord at his discretion if I fail to comply with any of the above-mentioned conditions.
Hope this information on a house sharing agreement helped. Take care and choose a house wisely!