Humans are known to make mistakes. All of us have our times, when we do make some blunders. One of the most common mistake is to make an error while writing a check. If there is a mistake in writing a check, the recipient in all possibility will not be able to withdraw the said amount. In such a case, you will have to declare the check invalid, and write a new check for the person. But the question now arises, what does one do with the erroneous check. Here are some steps to invalidate a wrongly written check, blank check, lost check, and cashier's check.
You can use any one of the following options depending on how much of the check remains to be written.
- If the amount is not yet filled, write 'void' in the amount box located on the check. This will ensure that the check is not cashed, as the teller will not make the payment when the word void is written in the amount box.
- To rule out the possibility of your signature been forged on the check, the word 'void' can be written across the signature line. Writing the word will make the check useless and forgery can be prevented.
- You can choose to write 'void' across the center of the check in bold letters, so that it is visible immediately to the teller.
- The other option is to write 'void', where the amount is filled up, where cross verification of the amount is done.
- For added precaution, writing void across the back of the check will nullify the check and any kind of forgery will be prevented.
There can be numerous reasons why we have a blank check with us on person. May be you had decided to give someone a check, and hence, had signed the check. But now, you have decided against it. Obviously knowing how to invalidate a blank check is necessary in such a case.
- If the signature has been made, but the payee line is not filled, write 'void' on the payee line.
- Writing 'void' in the amount box will also nullify the check.
- Likewise you can write 'void' on the signature line.
- Similarly 'void' can also be written on the back of the check.
- Crossing the check across a few times and on the account number will render the check void.
The first step is to notify the bank about the lost check. The next is to issue stop payment order. There is a fee for which you will have to pay the bank. When the stop payment order has been given the bank will not make the payment. All the required information will have to be given to the bank employee regarding the same. Do not forget to make a note of the same at the back of your check. Till the stop payment is not confirmed by the bank, do not write out another check to the payee. This will ensure both the checks are not cashed.
There is a lengthy process to invalidate a cashier's check. There is a 90 days wait period to put stop payment clause on the check. However, it is important to let the bank know about why would you want to void the check. Every bank has certain clauses, which they can make use of. Depending on the situation, the bank can take the appropriate measures, so that the money is not given to the wrong person.
A point to remember, it is important to keep a note of the check number of the check you have voided. At the same time, the date you have voided, the check, and the reason for the same should also be noted. If the check is under your possession, then make sure you keep it in a safe place. Keeping a regular track of your bank account will also ensure there are no forgeries from your account.