Give investment tips and advice.

How to Get a Copy of Your Tax Return

How to Get a Copy of Your Tax Return

There might be instances where you may require a hard copy of your tax returns. Tax return copies or rather transcriptions are given by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) post a small application procedure. Here we give you three options to obtain a copy of your tax return.
Scholasticus K
Misplacing documents is an inevitable incidence that is bound to occur every once in a while. In case you need a copy of your tax return information for your IRS return then you can refer to the following instructions. However, if it is any other return then you will have to the state website or the website of that very department.

IRS and the Income Tax Return

The IRS also known as the Internal Revenue Service, as all of us know, is an agency of the United States Federal Government, that does the duty of collecting income tax that is levied by the federal government. The IRS is essentially a Federal body and it is also present in all the states. To seek any kind of tax return copies or rather transcripts, you will have to give mail to the IRS or call their help line 1-800-908-9946 and request a transcription. Just like the income tax return transcripts, there are a lot many copies and other documents that the IRS makes available to the tax payers. A decorum and a simple application procedure is all that is needed.

How to Get a Copy of Your Tax Return

When it comes to income tax copies, the IRS does not charge any fee. Only the return is free from charge, there are also some other documents that you have filed with your return, which can be requested. The tax return transcript is a document which is given to you by the IRS. This document is a short one, and will show you the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ contents and any other information regarding your income tax return. Often, if you request the transcript as of date some changes related to your mortgage status are modified by the IRS in the transcript.

The second type of transcript is known as a tax account transcript and it is dynamic. It basically means that the information from tax return transcript will be the same but the recent updates or rather adjustments that have taken place, post the income tax return filing will be included in the account. In order to get either of the forms, you will have to use a IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return to apply or the 1-800-908-9946 line for request.

Now for the convenience of the tax payers, the IRS also provides the exact copy of the income tax return as it was filed in the past accounting year. This copy is not a transcription or a summary but is the exact photocopy of the income tax return that you have filed. In this copy all your documents, attachments and also the Form W-2, are sent. This kind of copy requires a small fee of $57.00, plus a Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. Apart from that, one can also request a Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript, which is basically a detailed summary of the tax return.

All the aforementioned forms are available on the website of the IRS. I would suggest that you download, request any form from the official site itself as it will ensure authenticity and safety.